Monday, March 22, 2010

Self Evaluation of Demonstration Speech


In class I gave a demonstration speech on how to make three-dimensional paper snowflakes. I think I did a good job of giving an example in the introduction of why the topic is relevant and why my audience should want to learn how to make 3D paper snowflakes. Throughout the speech I think that my steps were organized and appropriately broken down, but the topic I picked made that easy since it required very specific steps to be done one after the other.

I believe that I had appropriate energy and enthusiasm. I tried to be as excited as you could be about a paper snowflake. The volume I think was good. I think it might have been a bit difficult, especially for those in the back, to see the smaller details of my product. In this aspect the physical demonstration of my topic could have been improved. I could have done much better with my eye contact. I was constantly looking down at my product and failed to make much eye contact because of this. I also talked way too fast.

I believe that my visual aid was essential to my topic so it obviously was effective. One thing I could have done to increase the effectiveness of my visual aid would be to have everyone in class making snowflakes along with me, but that would have been difficult because I don’t have nearly enough staplers, tape, scissors, and it would have taken too long.

I would probably choose the same topic again but I would find some way to incorporate class participation. That is also the change that I would make to my visual aid. A couple things that I would improve include more eye contact, I would talk much slower, and would make it at least five minutes.

* Image taken from www.hipretty.com

4 comments: